Saturday 10 April 2010

Out and About - Episode 1

Due to pulled muscle in my back I have only had short local trips out for a while. I have had to resort to carrying fewer lenses and using my lighter Nikon dslr body which is normally kept in my bag as a back-up. Long drives were out of the question so we popped to Allerthorpe Wood where this male Chaffinch "posed" for us. I would have liked a better background to the shot but blurred it as much as I could with an f5.6 lens.


Moving on a Long-tailed tit played hide and seek with us.

Deeper in the wood there were two Great spotted woodpeckers - one quickly flew away but the other stayed for a minute or so.

The next day we walked to a local wood. There were some lambs in a field on the way.This one was in the company of two Jackdaws.



On reaching the wood we saw this Bee-fly




We could hear a Woodpecker drumming in the distance and there were quiet a few Chiffchaffs about. On the way back home we spotted a Mistle thrush.


These couple of days enjoying short walks did my back complaint wonders and I was eager to get out again.




2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the bad back. I hope that it's better soon. I've found that my Stealth Chair Hide is a real boon when my back is bad. Sometimes I even get too comfortable in it!! As you may have seen on my blog, I even used it in the garden recently, having 'planted' a few bare branches in strategic positions by the feeders - the birds sit on these whilst queueing for their turn on the feeders (there's a Goldfinch on one of mine as I am writing this), and they don't seem to notice me, even when the shutter operates! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. I have just bought a chair hide myself and initial impressions are good. As you say it does appear to be very comfortable and I am looking forward to trying it out.

    ReplyDelete