Tuesday 7 September 2010

Flying Dragons

Sunshine was forecast for the morning with rain later so as soon as I could I grabbed my camera and went to the local canal.

I have not been for a number of weeks and with all the berries on the trees there was a late summer look. 


The wind was very strong but in the shelter of some trees and undergrowth I saw this Southern hawker dragonfly


and a Speckled wood butterfly


reaching a bridge I looked down to see a Common darter clinging to the wall


I spent a few minutes trying to get a photo of a Migrant hawker in flight


In sheltered areas of the footpath Common darters were enjoying the sunshine


As the wind got stronger everything seemed to take cover. There were a few Small tortoiseshell butterflies flying close to the ground but they were too active to get a decent photo as they only landed for a short time. Through gaps in the lilies I could see some good sized Roach hanging in the crystal clear water.

Work beckoned and building clouds in the distance promised rain (although it did not arrive until early evening). It had been a very warm but windy walk with lots of activity from dragonflies.


No comments:

Post a Comment